Chase solutions and money will find you

If you want financial empowerment, you need to find 4 things: Problems and Solutions to those problems. Once you have found that solution, you should make a Business around it, based on the Market (what people are saying and what people want).

Adaptation is key today. If your chosen field or strategy is no longer serving today’s needs and purposes, you need to try something else, based on today’s realities. The world is changing and you need to change with it. Don’t be afraid of change. A rolling stone gathers no moss. Ask yourself, “What opportunities are here for me? What services can I render? Do I have the necessary skills? How can I be of help?”

As a young professional, one of my bosses called me a trouble shooter – I was always quick to render

help and find solutions to difficult situations. This was the driving factor behind the founding of my pet project, Venussbay, Abuja’s premier creatives/lifestyle blog and platform which promotes products and services in the cultural and creative sector.

In late 2011, Venussbay entered the scene in Nigeria to bridge the gap and solve the problems of young males and females who were in dire need of connecting to potential customers and clients in the areas of  visual and performing arts, tourism, cuisine, beauty, fashion and events. Through our digital platform, we connected buyers and sellers, mentees to mentors and supported several local artisans and startups who had no online presence. Using an app and backed up with our Social Handles @venussbay, on Blackberry, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ and Instagram, we worked the magic and boosted sales.

This year is the 11th anniversary of Venussbay and we are very proud and delighted to inform you that Venussbay was fuelled with passion and genuine interest in the growth of the creative economy. What started as a hobby with me connecting people through my Blackberry phone (during the days of massive demolitions of illegal structures in Abuja, which affected several businesses), became the solution to problems. I took in orders at no cost initially. The turning point was when a lady ‘pinged’ me on Blackberry Messenger (BBM) and asked how much I charge to promote events and businesses. That was how the money started pouring in.

Being very innovative, cost-effective, keenly engaged with clients, brought me more connections, clients, and business opportunities than I could have ever imagined. As the brand expanded, I had to recruit extra hands to help.

Today, Venussbay mentors children and youth to nurture their talents, believe in themselves and make sure their hopes don’t die. On a personal level, the experience I gained from working on Venussbay has made me a progressive thinker who sees opportunities in obstacles. Career-wise, my digital, and communication skills have opened several job opportunities for me and I have been privileged to work with several businesses, and organizations. 

So, what problems do you see around you and how do you think you can transform them into opportunities for solutions and innovations?

Photo: Nneka Acholonu, founder of Venussbay

***

Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave a comment, it helps us serve you better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog